14 Sep Transcription – a thing of the future
Among the many linguistic processes there is one that continues to grow due to popular demand – Transcription, which is the translation of an audio or video material into a desired language. This rise in popularity of this process mostly takes place in the
- Legal sector where interviews, oral statements or telephone conversations are requested to be translated
- Business sector for recordings of meetings or focus groups
- Media sectors where translations are needed for world cinema and international marketing campaigns
The processes through which an audio recording becomes a transcription:
- First, it is determined which specialization it falls into.
- Next, the written document of the audio file is produced
- And Third, the written document is then translated and proofread by two separate native linguists
Determining the specialization that the recording falls into is very important, because then the most specialized native linguists in that specific field will work on your project.
Producing the written document of the audio file (transcribing) is a process that can take some time, mostly because the recording must be listened to by the linguist and there are some factors that must be taken in to consideration such as, the file length, number of people involved in the conversation, dialog or any background noises. Generally, 1 minute of audio requires 4 minutes of transcribing, which means 15 minutes of audio requires an hour. That is why this part of the transcription process is charged by the hour for the actual time taken.
Now that the transcribing is done, the text goes through the translation and proofreading process which is done by professional native linguists the same way as any other translation project.
We can transcript any media file format that you send us as long as the audio quality is high. In this process even certain sounds are taken in to consideration, so, you have to make sure it is free from background noise so that the transcribing can take place.